Monday 15 December 2008


Fossils make for good pets. Don't need to walk them, feed them, clean up after them. Not a lot of interaction, granted, but at least quiet and well-behaved.

My parents were in the shop over the weekend, and my mum complained about the dust. I do make some effort to dust the glass shelving, especially where it is most visible, but it's a little demoralising how quickly it's coated again. Roadworks outside make it far worse. The real hassle is lifting all the little items and labels out of the way, then replacing them. I know I should do it more often. A New Year's resolution, maybe. In my defence, I DID buy some new hoover bags recently, a considerable gesture towards cleanliness. I will definitely fit one soon.

I do get asked what people do with fossils once they have them. I find this question a bit strange, but I suppose I can understand it. What do people do with paperweights? Who actually weighs down bits of paper on their desk? Who lievs in houses that windy? Anyway - people display them - hang them, put them on the mantlepiece, shelves etc. Or they just OWN them. It's a source of satisfaction to some people to have something that came from a dinosaur, or just that was living millions of years ago.

Some are very tactile objects, things you just have to pick up and hold for a minute. Others are fragile and delicate, with intricate patterns and shapes that draw the eye.

In any case - enough people like them to keep Mr Wood's Fossils in business for over twenty years. Proof enough.

No comments: